Monday, November 20, 2017

Role Models

People choose role models for various reasons and motivations. I, for one, find myself echoing many of the words that my late father-in-law used to quote repeatedly on pertinent occasions.

As I get older, I note that echoing these quotes is a form of acknowledgement and assertion of the profound impact that he left on my thinking and reasoning on one hand, and on my analysis and deduction on the other.

We now talk about “band-width” when we describe the extent of knowledge that a person commands. The term “well-rounded” or “all-rounded” also serves the same purpose, and I always associated the the term “rounded” with the process where the “sharp-edges” of our youth are smoothed out by our acquired knowledge.

How I would have liked to discuss this with my father-in-law, as he would, as he always did, shed more light on this and other vital matters of my existence.

Indeed, without a shadow of a doubt, he was/is my role model and I hope that I could live up to his level of wisdom and knowledge, but, as he always would remind me, “Only God is Perfect” or “الكمال لله”.

Further to the foregoing comments, I wish to opine that: “If you ever, inadvertently become a role-model, you must take on the responsibility of living up to the principles that you propagate”, and, “share your ideas and principles generously because, if you don’t, they are of no use to you or anyone when you’re gone!”

Hani Badawi
February 21, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment