Friday, May 13, 2016

When Bullies Take Center Stage

It is an undeniable fact that we encounter bullies from our early school days and throughout the rest of our lives.

It is interesting to note that many of these bullies, through their manipulative bullying tactics, successfully make their way into society and often reach high places.

They outwardly seem to garner supporters but I pose the question: Is it their charm or fear of their venom that supporters rally around them?

Characteristics of bullies are diverse in nature and have been a topic of study, discussion, essays, books, etc. over the ages and yet treatment and cures have not been too forthcoming!

I guess you may have surmised where my note is leading to!

Yes, Politicians! I hasten to add that I do not want to single out any particular one by name or nation, but here are the metrics that you may wish to use to identify who fits the bill and who doesn’t.

Does he/she exhibit the following negative features?
• Blackmailing
• Use of foul language
• Hatemongering
• Spreading rumors
• Manipulating
And yet exhibit the following positive features:
• Superficially charming
• Assertive
• Competitive
• Intelligent

When I used the foregoing criteria to determine which politician fits the bill, I found out that it’s difficult to find any who don’t!!!!

Hani Badawi
May 13, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment