Friday, January 20, 2012

Woe is Me!

In solving crossword puzzles I often encounter "woe is me" as a common clue for the word "alas". Although the phrase appears to be grammatically incorrect, in fact it is a correct but archaic form of expressing grief and sorrow.

I don't know about you, but, from time to time, I find myself playing with words in my mind, much in the same way as a baby would shake its rattle for the sheer pleasure of hearing a familiar sound.
My latest "grown-up rattle" seems to echo the following sentence: "Woe is me for the daily conflicting reports and comments about the events in Egypt"!

Although I ceased to live in Egypt for nearly 40 years, I still love it and cherish the memories of my family and friends and my early days there.
When I express my optimism regarding the outcome of the ever unfolding events, I must admit that much of this optimism is based on a hope that has persistently dwelt and continues to dwell in my mind.
Perhaps it is a perception. After all, "perception is reality"!
Hani Badawi
December 27, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment